Login |  Register

Post subject: Grimm rpg
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:57 pm 
Founder
Founder
So, we just ran the first part of what was supposed to be a one shot campaign of Grimm. I think the players enjoyed it enough to want to play more, and hopefully we will continue where we left off. Unfortunately, it won't be until next year (just a few weeks, don't worry).

Please listen to the podcast and let me know what you think.

Report this post
Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Grimm
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:04 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice
I just downloaded the AP so I'll be giving you plenty of feed back shortly.

Report this post
Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Grimm rpg
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:55 pm 
Founder
Founder
A note for players in upcoming episodes:

The certain traits that seem less useful in the Grimm lands can be used thusly:
1. Book Learning, Grammar: allows you to decipher scripts and tomes, possibly magical
2. Book Learning, Math and Science: utterly confounds residents of the Grimm lands, amaze them with your magical use of Gravity, Momentum, or Calculation. Most residents only barely know how to count. (One especially powerful example would be, with the right equipment, taking simple water and making it disappear and reappear. We all know this simply as evaporation and condensation, perhaps through a boiling method, but trust me, unless the Grimm resident is a wizard of the highest order, they will be amazed.)
3. Book Learning, Social Studies: historic knowledge in RL can help you become a leader of troops in GL
4. Gaming: while most known for it's ability to cast spells (game test at twice spell circle) gaming also comes into play whenever a kid wants to recognize a familiar fairy tale story and determine an enemy's soft spot.
5. Home Ec.: most especially used to barter with an enemy, i.e. "If you don't hurt me I'll do all the cooking/cleaning for you. Mother says I'm a good help around the house." and your lvl determines how well you perform.
6. There are situations where one trait is priority but another could fill in, such as painting a portrait of the queen. In this example, country club would take precedence since your actions before the Queen are of most import before you can even begin, but since it utilizes either Imagination for painting a wonderful portrait or Cool for convincing the Queen that it is a lovely painting that all will adore, the average of two traits will be the lvl at which you begin your test.
7. and if all else fails, use Luck. A good luck roll at any time could work in your favor, but don't rely on it all the time, and beware of bad Luck.

I am enjoying this one way too much. I hope the rest of you do too. I want to make this game my official long term campaign for a while with players making up their own character kids.

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:38 pm 
Founder
Founder
Why is it that nothing comes up when I search in iTunes for "Grimm actual play", and when I do just a search for Grimm all I get is, obviously, Grimm stories? "Grimm rpg" only comes up with Grimm Studios podcast.

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:34 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice
Maybe the keyword search only uses selections from the title of the cast and not the labels of the episodes.

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:19 pm 
Founder
Founder
That makes sense, dumb sense, but I guess they'd be overloaded otherwise... so highly intelligent dumb sense.

Hey Mister Hero Ninja, can you edit the information on our iTunes title to include specific games that we feature? I know it helps me to find podcasts when I search because I'm looking for game titles, like Mage the Awakening, and not finding them.

Also, can't wait to get back in and play some more Grimm. Feedback, please, I want to know if anyone else who is not playing is enjoying this and would like to start up their own campaign. Plus, if we like it enough, maybe we can discuss with ZenDead or Ross Payton on how to go about creating an acceptable campaign primer for Grimm. I've got ideas cooking.

Fantasy Flight, I'm looking at you!

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:45 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice
I've been on the fence about Grimm until now. Hearing it in action I like the grade system for determining effectiveness and I really like the paired skills using phrases as a memeic device to help people remember. I have some forgetful players and skills that help explain themselves are always a plus.

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:53 pm 
Founder
Founder
I think the developers of Grimm really tried to make this as simple and fun a game system as they could. There is variety and many options to satisfy gamers, but the mechanics at the core of the game, as well as the aforementioned skill renames (though, unlike Shadowrun and WoD, Grimm uses singular skills and not paired skill plus attribute) that reflect child themes, such as scrap for melee and scamper for agility. The simplified terminology makes it easy for new gamers, like Misha and Nay in our game, to jump in, and the Linear D6 system encourages role playing over die throwing, which some of our players preferred.

Story is at the heart of every game I run, so much so that I might throw away "roll inish" from time to time.
I've listened to many different actual play podcasts, and the ones that relied heavily on combat scenarios and damage dealt per turn (and sometimes "roll...miss...roll...miss...roll...hit awright...damage...roll...miss...") aren't interesting to listeners and slow down story tremendously. I'm all for combat and mini map play and dice rolling, but as long as it means something, and a system that takes out that dull droning of failed rolls where story begins to sound like two handicapped retarded monkeys playfully slapping each other, well, is a plus in my book.

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:33 am 
Founder
Founder
Bored and decided to come up with kodomo chibis for our players... so, yeah:

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:01 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice
Nice. I enjoy the "kid" voices, particularly the nerd ones.

Report this post
Profile  Offline